Salad is one of the easiest crops to grow – so perfect if you’re new to growing your own or gardening with kids. And some leaves will be ready to pick within days of sowing. So why not get started with our top tips?
- Stones or broken china
- Plant pot
- Multi-purpose compost
- Watering can
- Salad seed
- Plant label
How to grow your own salad:
- Add a layer of stones of broken china to the bottom of a large pot. It’s fine to use plastic or terracotta containers.
- Fill the pot with multi-purpose compost, pushing it down as you go. Pat the compost firm with your hands to create a flat sowing surface.
- Water the compost well, taking care not to spill it over the side. Water several times, allowing the water to soak through each time.
- Scatter salad seed over the surface of the compost making sure it’s evenly spread.
- Cover the seed with a sprinkling of dry compost and label the pot with the salad variety and sowing date. Wait for your leaves to appear!
- When large enough, pick the leaves from the outside of the plants. This will keep the supply coming. Water regularly to keep the plants healthy.
Our top tip :
Ensure a steady supply of tasty leaves by sowing a new pot of salad every week. And pick leaves little and often to encourage new ones to grow.
This season we have the biggest and best choice of pond fish available. We also have a team of dedicated and knowledgeable staff who will be happy to answer any questions you have and even catch you the fish of your choice.
Pond Fish Stock list –
- Stickleback 1-2” £1.99 or 10 for £15.00
- Goldfish Nova 2-3” £1.99 or 10 for £17.50
- Yellow Goldfish 2-3” £1.99 or 10 for £17.50
- Shubunkin Nova 2-3” £1.99 or 10 for £17.50
- Sarasa Comet 2-3” £1.99 or 10 for £17.50
- Yellow Goldfish 4-5” £5.99 or 10 for £50.00
- Shubunkin Nova 4-5” £5.99 or 10 for £50.00
- Goldfish Nova 4-5” £4.99 or 10 for £40.00
- White Edged Sterlet 14-16″ £60.00
- White Edged Sterlet 10-12″ £40.00
- Mixed Koi 2-3” £3.99 or 10 for £35.00
- Mixed Koi 4-5” £9.99
- Ogon Koi 2-3” £2.99 or 10 for £25.00
- Ogon Koi 8-9″ £30.00
- Hand Selected Koi 3-4″ £9.99
- Hand Selected Koi 8-9″ £60.00
- Butterfly Koi 2-3” £9.99
- Mixed Koi 14-16″ £100.00
- Mixed Koi 12-14″ £75.00
- Butterfly Koi 6-7″ £25.00
- Golden Orfe 2-3” £1.99 or 10 for £10.00
- Chub 2-3” £3.99
- Common Grass Carp 4-5” £9.99
- Golden Minnows 1-2″ £1.99 10 for £15
- Golden Rudd 3-4” £5.99
- Watch out for late frosts. Protect tender plants
- Earth up potatoes, and promptly plant any still remaining
- Plant out summer bedding at the end of the month (except in cold areas)
- Collect rainwater and investigate ways to recycle water for irrigation
- Regularly hoe off weeds
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days
- Mow lawns weekly
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges
- Lift and divide overcrowded clumps of daffodils and other spring-flowering bulbs
- Watch out for viburnum beetle and lily beetle grubs
Watch out for late frosts. Protect tender plants
Earth up potatoes, and promptly plant any still remaining
Plant out summer bedding at the end of the month (except in cold areas)
Collect rainwater and investigate ways to recycle water for irrigation
Regularly hoe off weeds
Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days
Mow lawns weekly
Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges
Lift and divide overcrowded clumps of daffodils and other spring-flowering bulbs
Watch out for viburnum beetle and lily beetle grubsop 10 jobs this mon
Interested in fishing, shooting or hunting?
Then pay a visit to our dedicated Fishing & Shooting department.
We stock Rods, Reels, Tackle & bait for both course & sea fishing. We also stock Air rifles, ammo, catapults, targets, pistols, scopes & clothing.
As well as the fantastic gear & bait we have available we also have an Andy!.
Need help with some gear? Not sure where to fish? Then ask Andy, he’s our go to guy for all of your fishing & shooting questions
Spring is here!
To celebrate the lifting of the weather and the spring transition Julian Power Garden Design at Carnon Downs Garden Centre would like to introduce you to the wonders of mother nature’s restaurant.
There has been a spring clean at the garden centre and the friendly staff have prepared a new look shop and restaurant to welcome you to the wonders of spring.
To help you plan your garden with wildlife in mind this time of year is paramount to helping birds bees and butterflies to find food and enable them to build strength again.
At Carnon Downs Garden Centre Julian Power can help advise you on complimentary planting to stimulate this process that can be cradled in sympathetic landscaping.Like ourselves they need to eat a variety of healthy food sources. By planting a mixture of indigenous native plant species along with some more exotic elements, your garden can easily become one of the greatest natural restaurants on earth.